Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Warli and me

School vacations were always fun. Every summer I joined some creative class and had fun doing those projects. During one such vacation I was introduced to this wonderful art called 'Warli'.

Warli is one of the largest tribe found on the northern outskirts of Mumbai. This tribal art is simple and mainly uses shapes like circle, triangle, dots and lines. White color is mostly used for these paintings and background is almost always earthen since they are mainly created on mud walls of tribal houses. Warli paintings mostly depict social life, animals, trees, people and occasions. I think simplicity is what has made Warli art so famous. No handicraft exhibition is complete without a stall displaying Warli Art. What fascinates me most about Warli is that it is simple yet so attractive. Over the years it has been done on various mediums and many artists have used different color schemes. This is what I have tried:

PAPER (gift envelopes, Greeting cards)




FABRIC (Bag)



CERAMIC (Pots)



And once when the creative bug bit me, I even tried it on one of my doors at home!



In spite being a tribal art, Warli paintings have continued to exist in the modern era and their popularity increases day by day. Since it's not very complicated you must give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment